Looking for the best Thermal Scope for Coyote Hunting? You came to the right place.
When it comes to modern-day coyote hunting, a thermal scope is a handy tool to have.
This optical instrument works day and night no matter the lighting and weather conditions.
Better yet, thermal scopes are designed to work through various obstacles such as fog, sand, smoke, and mist, which traditional rifle scopes can’t.
However, finding the best thermal scope for coyote hunting is easier said than done. With the rising demand for these optics, different manufacturers have come up to try and meet the demand.
Today, there are many thermal scopes out there that make the selection process taxing especially for first-time buyers.
If you are having a hard time finding the ideal thermal scope for coyote hunting, we are here to offer a helping hand. In this article, we will explain to you how a thermal scope works and also share some of the best models available on the market today.
Let’s get started.
How Does a Thermal Scope Work?
Thermal scopes have thermal sensors that detect heat signatures from a target to create the image you see on the scope. The majority of thermal scopes use FLIR or Forward-Looking infrared sensors to detect heat signatures.
No matter the weather condition or the amount of light available, a thermal scope will still work. It will collect the heat signatures, and generate images of the target either in black-and-white, classic green, or any other color depending on the device you are using.
The brightness of the image produced varies from one target to the other depending on the amount of radiation the target generates. A warmer object will appear brighter and crisper through the scope, while the sight picture of a less warm target will be darker.
Best Thermal Scope for Coyote Hunting-Top Picks
Let us now take a look at the best thermal scopes for coyote hunting available on the market today.
1) ATN Thor 4 Thermal Rifle Scope
ATN ThOR 4 Thermal Rifle Scopes are available in 8 different styles
- ATN ThOR 4 384 1.25-5x -detection range-750m
- ATN ThOR 4 384 2-8x-detection range 960m
- ATN ThOR 4 384 4.5-18x-detection range 1800m
- ATN ThOR 4 384 7-28x– detection range 3000m
- ATN ThOR 4 640 1-10x-detection range 830m
- ATN ThOR 4 640 1.5-15x– detection range 1050m
- ATN ThOR 4 640 2.5-25x– detection range 1950m
- ATN ThOR 4 640 4-40x– detection range 3300m
ATN is a leading and respected brand in the industry of thermal and night vision equipment. It manufactures quality and reliable optics and this is clear in the ATN Thor 4 Thermal Rifle Scope. With this scope, you get virtually everything you need to take your coyote hunting skills to the next level.
Powered by ATN’s Obsidian IV Dual Core, this thermal scope delivers exceptional performance day and night. It offers high thermal sensitivity, greater contrast, and improved resolution for quick target finding and identification. Besides, it looks and feels like a traditional rifle scope for ease of use.
ATN built this thermal scope with hunters in mind. It comes with an ATN ABL laser range finder to help you determine the distance of your targets. On top of that, it has a ballistic calculator that comes in handy when hunting and numerous reticle patterns with different color options for easy aiming in a wide range of environments.
Furthermore, it comes with a 60 Hz refresh rate and a recoil-activated video that makes video and image recording a walk in the park. Another good thing about this rifle scope is that you can mount it on nearly any platform with 30mm standard rings
To top it all, it offers a wide field of view for swift target scanning and its battery will keep you in the hunting field all-day or all-night long.
- Built-in ballistic calculator
- Long detection range
- Multiple reticle patterns and colors
- Comes with 30 mm Standard Rings
- Long battery life of up to 18hrs
- 90 mm eye relief
- iOS & Android compatible
- 1280×720 HD Display
- ATN’s Obsidian IV Dual Core
- Integrated laser range finder
- Quick detach mount
- Weather resistant
- Multiple magnification power to choose from
- Wide field of view
- Easy to use
- Day and night use
- -20°F to +120°F / -28°C to 48°C operating temperature
- Picks thermal signatures of hidden targets easily
- Outstanding clarity
- 3 years warranty
2) Pulsar Thermion XG50 3-24×42 Thermal Rifle Scope
This Pulsar optic is a tough and dependable thermal imaging rifle scope that will certainly change the way you hunt coyotes, hogs, and other predators for the better.
The scope features a 2,400-yard thermal detection range and an incredible 1024×768 AMOLED display.
With an 8x zoom and a picture-in-picture mode accommodates big game, varmints, coyotes, or hogs in all environments.
One remarkable thing about the scope is that it is built with simplicity in mind. You can operate it with ease even if you are a beginner. Plus, it delivers a simple functionality that makes it ideal for use in practically any setting and weather condition.
This thermal scope is built like a tank. It will deliver reliable performance no matter the field conditions and anything nature throws at it.
The scope also features 5 rifle profiles with 50 zero saves and 13 reticle patterns.
- 2400 yd detection range
- 8x digital zoom
- 5 rifle profiles with 50 zero saves
- Eye Relief: 2 in
- Adjustment Type: 0.5 MOA
- Field of View, Linear: 15.4 m at 100 m@ 8.8 degrees
- Diopter Adjustment Range: -3 – +5 DPT
- Operating Temperature: -13 – 122 Fahrenheit
- Magnification: 3 – 24 x
- Objective Lens Diameter: 42 mm
- 7+ hrs battery life
- Easy to use
- Stadiametric rangefinder
- Picatinny and Weaver attachment
- AMOLED display
- Rock- forest- and identification viewing modes
- Built-in Recording
- Long detection range
- Ideal for use in any lighting and weather condition
- Backed by Pulsar’s warranty
- Multiple reticles
- Numerous accessories included
- Color viewing modes
- Picture-in-picture digital zoom
- Very expensive
3) Burris BTS 50 3.3-13.2x50mm Thermal Rifle Scope
Next on our list is the Burris BTS 50 3.3-13.2x50mm Thermal Rifle Scope which will revolutionize how you hunt coyotes and other game for the better.
It comes with 10 reticle options with 7 different color palettes. This gives you the flexibility to aim with greater accuracy, no matter the lighting environment.
Furthermore, the scope comes with a stadia metric rangefinder that provides an accurate distance measurement of how far your targets are.
Construction-wise, the scope has durable housing to withstand anything you subject it to. In addition to that, it has an intuitive, one-hand operation that lets you make the necessary adjustments without changing your shooting position.
Above all, it has ultra-sensitive thermal sensors that reveal prey hiding in bushes and a high-resolution screen that provides crisp clear, and bright image views under any lighting or weather condition.
- Magnification: 3.3 – 13.2 x
- Battery Life: 3 – 5 hours
- Refresh Rate: 50 Hz
- Objective Lens Diameter: 50 mm
- Display Resolution: 1024×768 pixels
- Resolution: 400×300 pixels
- Reticle: Multiple
- Eye Relief: 48 mm
- Stadiametric ranging
- Adjustable brightness and contrast
- Multiple thermal options
- High-resolution screen
- 10 reticle options and 7 color palates
- Intuitive, one-hand operation
- Manual and automatic NUC
- Exceptional image quality
- Lightning-fast refresh rate
- Easy to operate
- Battery life could be better
4) ATN ThOR LT Thermal Rifle Scope
ATN ThOR LT Thermal scopes are available in different styles
- ATN ThOR LT 160 3-6x-detection range 475m
- ATN ThOR LT 160 4-8x-detection range 625m
- ATN ThOR LT 160 5-10x-detection range 995m
- ATN ThOR LT 320 2-4x-detection range 715m
- ATN ThOR LT 320 3-6x-detection range 910m
- ATN ThOR LT 320 4-8x-detection range 1510m
- ATN ThOR LT 320 5-10x-detection range 1620m
If you are looking to sharpen your coyote hunting skills, you should invest in this ATN ThOR LT Thermal Rifle Scope line.
It will reveal every detail of your target no matter the hunting environment and increase your odds of taking an accurate shot.
This thermal scope is incredibly simple to use. It comes with a user-friendly interface that makes it simple to operate even for beginners. Besides, it has a manageable weight that makes it easy to carry around and you can mount it on nearly any platform using 30mm standard rings.
The scope is built to offer rugged reliability. Featuring a hardened aluminum alloy body, it is sturdy enough to handle anything you subject it to, yet light enough to disperse recoil from high caliber weapons for added durability.
Moreover, it has a weather-resistant rating so you can hunt with confidence under any weather condition.
For extra convenience, the scope harbors multiple reticle patterns that you can adjust to suit your preference and a One Shot Zero that makes sighting it a simple task. Lastly, it provides 10+ hours of continuous runtime to cover the duration of the entire hunt.
- Weather resistant construction
- Long detection range of up to 1620m
- Variable magnification
- Recoil resistant
- 30mm tube diameter
- One Shot Zero
- 3D accelerometer
- Black hot/white hot viewing mode
- Hardened aluminum alloy body
- Cheaper to the high-end models
- 10+ hrs battery life
- Oprating temperature: -20°F to +120°F / -28°C to 48°C
- Multiple reticle patterns
- Ultralight design
- Can be mounted on crossbows, rifles, and any other platform that requires a lightweight optic
- The riflescopes contain rubber latex which may be allergic to some people
5) AGM Global Vision Rattler TS35-384 2. 14xx35 Thermal Imaging Rifle Scope
If compactness, low weight, and versatility are what you are after, this thermal scope suits you.
With a weight of just 0.91lb, this scope is the lightest on the list. This lightweight design makes it ideal for use with different firearms even crossbows. Also, you can use it as a handheld monocular in situations like patrolling and home surveillance.
This thermal scope boasts a 384×288 thermal detector that detects the thermal radiation from targets even when there are obstacles like fog, smoke, dust, sand, rain, and total darkness.
It also features a 1024×768 OLED monitor that remains clear and visible even in harsh lighting and weather conditions.
Furthermore, the scope comes with adjustable color palettes for added versatility. It is designed to support distance measurement, a feature that comes in handy when hunting.
Above all, it is waterproof for all-weather performance and shockproof to withstand the rigors that come with hunting.
- Magnification: 2.14 x
- Eye Relief: 45 mm
- Objective Lens Diameter: 35 mm
- Display Resolution: 1024×768 pixels
- Battery Type: CR123
- Field of View, Angle: 10 – 8 degrees
- Refresh Rate: 50 Hz
- Diopter Adjustment Range: -5 – 3 DPT
- Attachment/Mount Type: Weaver, Picatinny
- Operating Temperature: -4 – 131 Fahrenheit
- 8x digital zoom
- 384×288 thermal resolution, high-sensitivity detector
- Waterproof and shockproof
- Adjustable color palettes
- 1024×768 OLED monitor
- Built-in video recording
- Supports distance measurement
- Lightweight, compact and portable
- 50 Hz lightning-quick refresh rate
- Can be used as a handheld thermal monocular
- Excellent image clarity
- Poor eye relief
How to Choose the Best Thermal Scope for Coyote Hunting
Here is a buyer’s guide on some of the most important factors to look for when choosing the best thermal scope for coyote hunting.
A thermal scope with a high-quality resolution is always the best. It not only provides sharp and clear views, but it also ensures that you spot targets swiftly no matter the environment you are hunting in.
Majorly, your budget will dictate the quality of scope that you get. If money is not an object, go for the high-end thermal scopes that offer the highest resolution.
After resolution, you should check on the refresh rate the scope presents. Generally, the higher the refresh the better, particularly for coyote hunting and all-around hunting. A lightning-fast refresh rate is vital when tracking a fast-moving target. It will help you lock on quickly and with ease. For coyote hunting, go for a thermal scope with not less than 50 Hz.
To achieve the most of your hunting scope, ensure that you pick one with a high magnification level. Mostly, a fixed power scope is not very useful when it comes to coyote hunting.
Instead, you are going to need a scope with a wide and variable magnification that lets you hunt the game at varying ranges.
The other important thing to consider is the weight of the thermal scope. A lightweight scope is not just portable, but also easy to use. A lightweight scope also gives you the flexibility to mount it onto multiple platforms including crossbows. Besides, lightweight scopes tend to offer greater accuracy no matter the platform that you mount them on.
A thermal scope for coyote hunting should be weatherproof. This way, you will be able to hunt with confidence under rain and fog. A weatherproof scope is one that is sealed with O-rings to prevent the entry of water and dust. It should also be filled with either argon or nitrogen gas to prevent the build-up of fog on the lenses.
- Do you need a thermal scope for Coyote Hunting?
Yes, you do. A thermal scope is a handy tool to have if you are looking to hunt coyotes any time of the day or night. It will help you place the shot more accurately even at extended ranges regardless of the lighting or weather condition.
- Is a thermal scope worth it?
Absolutely. Having a thermal scope will change how you hunt for the better. No matter your hunting terrain or experience, a thermal scope is certainly worth adding to your hunting toolset. You can also use a thermal scope for nighttime surveillance and other applications not just hunting.
- Can a thermal scope be used during the day?
Absolutely. You can use your thermal scope during the day as well as at night. Unlike night vision equipment that is affected by light, a thermal imaging optic will work under any lighting condition, even in broad daylight.
We hope that you have obtained some insight into the best thermal scope for coyote hunting from this buying guide.
It is going to cost you a large amount of money to get a quality thermal scope, but in the long run, you will get great value for your money.
Grab any thermal scope listed above and see it turn all your hunting sessions into success this season.